The mission of the Local History Department is to be a resource for education about historical events, people, and places of Chester and its environs. The Local History Department will support its mission by:
- Appraising, collecting, organizing, describing, preserving, and making accessible materials in the collections.
- Providing information services that will assist the operation of the Library.
- Serving as a resource to foster and cultivate creative teaching and learning.
- Aiding in research and scholarship by making available and encouraging the use of its collections by members of local schools and all other interested persons.
- Interacting with institutions whose mission is similar to the Local History Department’s or the Library’s in order to promote shared aims, goals, and programs.