Muskrat Inn, Chester, N.J., postcard, undated.
The property shown here dates back to 1899. Then, it was known as the Depot House, but it saw its share of turnovers. In 1906, it was known as the Anthracite Hotel, a nod to the coal being carried on the rails through Chester. The owner, Lorenzo T. Current sold the business to William Kohler in 1925. He, in turn, sold it to Edward Hann, who ran cockfights out of the tavern. Hann willed the tavern to his niece, Luella O’Neil, who sold it to Bernie Wallace. This Chester mainstay still carries his name today — Bernie’s Hillside Tavern.
All requests to reproduce, publish, quote from, or otherwise use collection materials must be submitted in writing to the Local History Librarian, Chester Public Library, 250 W. Main Street, Chester, NJ 07930.
Exhibit Publication Date: Published in 2014. ©Copyright Chester Public Library 2014.