Presbyterian Church, Chester, N.J., postcard, 1909.
Also known in this exhibit as the Federated Church, this building sits on 2.5 acres of Main Street property purchased for $247.50 in 1851. The Presbyterians of the area date back to the mid-1700s, and were known as the Black River Presbyterians. The group traveled to neighboring Mendham to practice their faith until in 1745, they created the First Presbyterian Congregation of Roxbury. The Old Hill Church, as it was called, was a log building at the top of Pleasant Hill.
The postcard was mailed to Mrs. S.S. Barcroft of Stockton, N.J.
All requests to reproduce, publish, quote from, or otherwise use collection materials must be submitted in writing to the Local History Librarian, Chester Public Library, 250 W. Main Street, Chester, NJ 07930.
Exhibit Publication Date: Published in 2014. ©Copyright Chester Public Library 2014.