Tag: Bell Labs
In 1960, the Observer-Tribune reported that “a spectacular fire” on North Road destroyed Hans Lowensteiner’s a 150 x 50 ft. cow barn, attached milk house, silo, and sleeping quarters of farm worker William Boloway. Lowensteiner and his employees were milking the cows when his wife showed them smoke at the roof. The farmer saved his 65 cows, but inadequate water supplies stymied 140 firemen from 7 fire companies until a pond on the Bell Labs property (1 mile away) became the source of water to bring the conflagration under control.
In 1970, the Observer-Tribune celebrated Walter S. Gunnarson’s 45th anniversary of service with Bell Labs. Gunnarson, of Hillside Road, started in systems drafting, then moved on to illustrating inventions and apparatus designs with the patent drafting group. He served as an artillery officer during World War II and remained active in the U.S. Army Reserve.
In 1960, “a spectacular fire” destroyed Hans Lowensteiner’s a 150 x 50 ft. cow barn, attached milk house, silo, and sleeping quarters of farm worker William Boloway. Lowensteiner, a North Road resident, and his hired workers had begun the evening milking when his wife pointed out the smoke at the roof. The farmer saved his 65 cows, but inadequate water supplies stymied the 140 firemen from 7 fire companies around the area, until a pond on the Bell Labs property (1 mile away) became the source of water to bring the conflagration under control. Source: Observer-Tribune
In 1956, the Ground Observer Corps celebrated its first year of operation at Post 15-Charley by holding a dance at the Chester Township Hall. Along with the dancing, there was an awards presentation to outstanding local Ground Observers. The program was tape recorded by George Eberhardt, an engineer with Bell Telephone Laboratories. Source: The Mendham-Chester Tribune.
In 1962, George M. Eberhardt of Chester Township celebrated 40 years as a member of the technical staff at Bell Telephone Laboratories in Whippany. In 1922, he joined Bell’s predecessor, Western Electric Company. Some of his work included the design, construction, and testing of antennas used with short-wave telephone transmission. Source: Observer-Tribune.