Tag: Charlie Johnson


This Week in Chester History…

In 1957, Charlie and Lois Johnson of North Road hosted a 2-meter ham-radio picnic for some 45 adults and 20 children from New Jersey and Pennsylvania who heard their ham radio invitation. The Johnsons held novice and general radio licenses, enabling them to reach all of New Jersey and some of Pennsylvania on a two-wave frequency by phone. Charlie used bamboo rods and aluminum foil to fashion antennae. Source: Observer-Tribune.