Tag: Chester Fire Department
In 1955, the Mendham-Chester Tribune reported that a visitor to Merrigan Farms on Route 24 was reported missing. The Chester Fire Department sounded the alarm, and the Chester First Aid Squad lent their assistance in efforts to find young Billy Plochock, 11. He was located not long afterward in Morristown.
The Chester Rotary Club presented a check for $100 to John Hoffman of the Chester First Aid Squad. Henry Gapinski, the club president, also gave a $316 check to Louis Bell of the West Morris Regional High School Student Council, and $100 to Leonard Smalley, Chester Fire Chief. The Rotary Club meeting where all the awards were handed out took place at the Chester House in 1961. Source: Observer-Tribune
1938, the Mendham-Chester Tribune reported that the Chester Fire Department extinguished a small blaze at David Philhower’s house. The fire was caused by an oil stove. Thanks to the quick response of the fire fighters, little damage was done to the Philhower home.