Tag: Chester School
In 1937, Chester School, Chester Boy Scouts, and Camp 82 of the Patriotic Order of Americans responded to the Red Cross’ call to raise funds for those affected by flooded areas along the Ohio River and throughout the Mississippi River Valley. The Mendham-Chester Tribune said radio announcements about the devastation in 11 states inspired the groups to raise whatever they could.
In 1955, the Chester School held a Music Workshop attended by 160 people. Participating districts included Jefferson, Milton, Mount Arlington, Chester, Netcong, Mendham Township, Washington Township, Budd Lake, Wharton, and Flanders. Children in primary, middle, and upper grades participated in demonstrations of vocal music, music appreciation, instrumentals, rhythms, and creative dancing. Source: Mendham-Chester Tribune
In 1955, the new school budget of $180,026.50 passed, up almost $48,000 over the previous year’s appropriations. Local taxes would be increased a total of $38,000 to pay for the new budget. The lion’s share of the increase was attributed to increased transportation costs. Source: The Mendham-Chester Tribune.
In 1936, the Cecil Hoffman family won three out of seven prizes at the Chester Community Nurses’ Association card party held at the Chester School in the seventh and eighth grade rooms. The Mendham-Chester Tribune mused, “What lucky charm surrounded the Hoffmans was a mystery to the guests.” Cecil won the door prize and a Christmas tree. Mrs. Hoffman had the high score of the evening.
In 1937, the names of the Chester School graduates were announced. They were: Russell Apgar, Lois (Tommie) Barker, Alice Budd, Robert Bahrman, Betty Christensen, Margaret Doremus, Dorothy Fleming, Alice Fry, Clifford Gillespie, Virginia Grey, Reba Hollenback, Helen Jackson, Betty Kappes, Doris McCollum, Grace Mercadante, John Metzgar, Gladys Shann, Helen Smith, William Smith, Lewis Somers, Warren Stroud, Harry Thompson, Lorraine Weil, Jeannette Williamson, Florence Wyckoff, and John Wyckoff.
In 1955, Principal Charles Williamson announced his retirement as head of the Chester Elementary school. He served as principal for 32 years, until he became Supervisor of the school. Source: Mendham-Chester Tribune
Responding to devastating floods in Ohio and Mississippi, the Chester School, Boy Scouts, and Patriotic Order of Americans raised funds for the Red Cross, in 1937. The school kids were asked to collect from their families, the Boy Scouts raised money through parties, and the P.O.A. held bingo parties to earn its contributions. Source: Mendham-Chester Tribune
In 1961, Chester Theatre Group President Edward Jenkins gave the Board of Education a $350 check in appreciation for the use of Chester School facilities and cooperation of the staff. The Board earmarked the gift for “a tape recorder, a very good microphone, and an adequate supply of tapes.” Source: Observer-Tribune.
In 1956, Chester School Principal Emil Massa informed the Board of Education that if school were to be closed due to inclement weather, parents would be notified at 7:45 a.m. via a one-half minute continuous blast of the fire siren. The closing also would be announced on Morristown radio station WMTR, and on the morning John Gambling program. Source: The Mendham-Chester Tribune.
In 1955, half the children of Mrs. Barnes’ morning kindergarten class of the Chester School were out sick with the measles. Measles vaccines were not licensed for distribution until 1963. Source: The Mendham-Chester Tribune.