Tag: Chester Township Hall
In 1955, nearly 150 people attended the public hearing on a proposed regional high school to serve Chester, Mendham Borough, Mount Arlington Borough, Mount Olive Township, and Washington Township. Held in Chester Township Hall, the meeting was a cooperative effort of the Board of Education and the Chester Community Civic Association. Source: Mendham-Chester Tribune.
In 1938, the Chester Township Committee raised taxes by $5,044.34. The increase was primarily due to the need for new road equipment and the purchase of a Milltown site for the new Township Hall. Source: Mendham-Chester Tribune.
In 1937, the Mendham-Chester Tribune reported that Chester Township voters (in a referendum) chose to purchase the old Milltown School site and adjoining property for the purpose of a Township Hall.
In 1956, the Ground Observer Corps celebrated its first year of operation at Post 15-Charley by holding a dance at the Chester Township Hall. Along with the dancing, there was an awards presentation to outstanding local Ground Observers. The program was tape recorded by George Eberhardt, an engineer with Bell Telephone Laboratories. Source: The Mendham-Chester Tribune.
In 1955, at the Township Hall, the Chester League of Women Voters hosted a talk by Dr. D. Thurston Griggs, Assistant Professor of History and International Relations at Drew University in Madison. Prior to Griggs’ presentation on “Individual Liberties and the Bill of Rights,” Leonard Philhower screened the film “Creation of the Bill of Rights.” Source: The Mendham-Chester Tribune.