Tag: Chester Township
In 1961, Chester Township released a proposed Master Plan which was mailed to every resident. The 30-page plan mentioned the possibility of merging the Borough and Township, and limiting commercial zoning to the Borough. The combined population at that time was 2,862, and was predicted to rise to 5320 by 1975. Source: Observer-Tribune
According to the Observer-Tribune, in 1961, the Chester Borough and Township Councils held a joint meeting to discuss exceed their borrowing power to construct a new school.
Chester Library now offers the only location for the complete list of Chester Borough and Township elected officials. Previously, information seekers paged through old record books at the Borough and Township offices or individual PDFs of council minutes on their web sites, or visited the Library to access Observer-Tribune newspapers from 1936 forward. The online list, accessible here: https://localhistory.chesterlib.org/chester-borough-and-township-elected-officials/, extends back to 1870, the earliest records of Chester Township’s elected officials available. The new elected officials list will be useful to students, teachers, genealogical researchers, political scientists, and other researchers.
The Library’s Chester Borough and Township Elected Officials web page is easily searchable by using the Find search option in a user’s browser menu. One also can use the Control/Command + F key combination to launch the Find option in a browser. The page will be updated with future election results as they become available. “This is an invaluable resource for the residents of Chester. It’s become much more convenient for this community to consult Chester’s election information by using this tool on the Library’s web site,” said Library Director Lesley Karczewski.
Until now, a compiled list of all Chester’s elected officials was nonexistent. Local History Department volunteer Marty Groff obtained the information by first searching the Observer-Tribune newspapers at the Chester Library. However the newspaper only dates to 1936; and the Library is missing the years between 1939 and 1954. Next, Groff visited both the Borough and Township offices over a period of months to comb through Council meeting minutes books spanning 144 years. After she compiled her lists from each locality, she gave them to Local History Librarian Debra Schiff, who created the web page and made the information available and accessible to users.
The Local History Department of the Chester Library in Chester, New Jersey is a resource for reference and original materials that document Chester, Morris County, and N.J. history. The purpose of the Local History Department is to collect, preserve, describe, and make accessible these materials to the local community, as well as to visiting and online researchers.
The Chester Library serves the residents of Chester Borough and Chester Township, New Jersey. The library houses a collection of over 70,000 books, DVDs, CDs, video games, audio books and e-books. In addition, it offers a wide array of adult, teen and children’s programs, public computers, online research services and community meeting rooms.
The Mendham-Chester Tribune reported in 1937 that Chester Township Clerk Eugene Vliet rear-ended a truck at the crossroads in New Vernon. Driving the truck was Francis X. Backer, who was returning from Plainfield where he and his wife had been helping the Boy Scouts prepare for their trip to Washington, D.C. Mrs. Backer was slightly injured, and Vliet’s car’s radiator was “badly smashed in.”
In 1961, James Minard of Fox Chase Road, Chester Township gave a fascinating account of his trip to Egypt as a member of a U.S. Geological Survey mission. U. S. Geological Survey. His purpose was to geologically map the western desert of Egypt, a total area of approximately 740,000 square kilometers. Jim, son of the Robert Minards, became a geologist upon graduation from Upsala College in 1948. Source: Observer-Tribune.
In 1975, Pat Dews of Mile Drive was sworn in as the new Chester Township Clerk. Prior to moving to town one year earlier, she and her family lived in Texas, and she served as an executive secretary in an aerospace firm for 13 years. “When we saw Chester, that to us was New England. We loved it,” she said. Source: Observer-Tribune
In 1987, Chester Township Councilman Daniel Pope announced that seven Chester roads would be outfitted with steel guide rails, at a cost of approximately $120,000. The streets named were Hacklebarney, Mendham, Old Mill, Parker, Pleasant Hill, St. Bernards, and State Park Roads. In the 1960s, the roads had wooden guide rails, but over the years, they eroded. Source: Observer-Tribune
On September 6, 1960, the Chester Township Committee moved to abolish its participation in the 12-year old Tri-Municipal court that served the Township, Chester Borough, and Mendham Township. Chester Borough Council pulled out the following night. The Chesters planned to form their own court on advice from the Police Study Commission. Source: Observer-Tribune
In 1963, the Chester Township Planning Board approved a major subdivision to Chester Knolls on Route 24. Previously part of the Robinson farm, 40 of the 105 acres would be divided into 20 building lots. The board also rubber stamped a subdivision of four of 25 acres on the south side of Pleasant Hill Road. The property was part of an estate willed by Cora Mooney to the Biblical Seminary of New York. The seminary sold the four acres to owners who planned to convert a barn on the property to a home. Source: Observer-Tribune.