Tag: Chester Women’s Club
The 1937 Chester Women’s Club annual Halloween party was a bit different than previous years in that it was a ballroom dance. Each woman wore a balloon on her ankle, and a prize was given to the couple who kept from breaking their balloon all evening. Felix Arden’s orchestra played the tunes. Source: Mendham-Chester Tribune
The Chester Women’s Club held an Art Exhibit at the Federated Parish House, in 1937. Miss Frances Howell won first prizes for braided and crocheted rugs, Mrs. Henry Jackson took first for hooked rugs, Mrs. Elmer C. Searles, Sr., won in the white embroideries department for the French knots division, and Mrs. Austin W. Thompson took the blue ribbon for plain embroidery. For cut work, first award was given to Mrs. Basil L. Johnson, and for colored embroideries, cross-stitch, Mrs. E. C. Searles won first place. Source: Mendham-Chester Tribune
In 1955, Mrs. William E. Young, a lifelong resident of Chester and an active worker in civic organizations here, celebrated her 98th birthday. She was a past president and charter member of the Chester Women’s Club, as well as the Chester Presbyterian Church organist for more than 50 years. Young attended the Chester Institute, and recalled when iron mines flourished in Chester during the days of the Civil War. Abraham Lincoln was President during her early school years. Her husband, with whom she eloped at the age of 15, installed the first telephone in the town, connecting it with his blacksmith shop and coal-yard office. Source: The Mendham-Chester Tribune.
In 1967, the theme of the annual Chester Flower Show was “Keep America Beautiful.” Sponsored by the Chester Women’s Club, the event was held at St. Lawrence Hall. Members of the Junior Women’s Club rose to the occasion in two unusual categories: “Landscape in a Pie Plate” and cartoons made of fruits or vegetables. Source: Observer-Tribune.