In 1960, Chester Township voted for its first term of a new mayor-council form of government. Republican incumbents Henry Leeb and Leonard Nixon landed three-year terms on the council. The voter turnout was high: 985 of the township’s 1080 registered citizens voted in the election. Source: Observer-Tribune
The League of Women Voters of the Chesters-Mendhams sponsored three non-partisan candidates meetings throughout the fall of 1960. The speakers were Senator Clifford P. Case (R) and Thorn Lord. The meetings afforded “independent voters, those who are genuinely puzzled, and all interested citizens to hear candidates views before they cast their votes.” Source: Observer-Tribune
In 1937, the Mendham-Chester Tribune announced the election results for the area. In Chester Township, Stanley Bodine won a spot on the Committee and Ralph Robinson was elected Tax Assessor. Both were Democrats. Bodine won by nine votes. In the Borough, the Democrats also defeated the Republicans. Dr. Hugh R. Fry and Edward Pickel, Sr. landed memberships on the Council, while Harry G. Segur won the Tax Assessor race.