Tag: Ground Observer Corps
In 1955, the Ground Observer Corps (GOC) post supervisor Andrew Drysdale announced that a new GOC post would be built on the same Telephone Hill site as the previous post. The old post was relocated further south by a team of volunteers. The new prefabricated structure would be octagonal in shape and walled with windows. Source: The Mendham-Chester Tribune.
In 1955, Gene Ingraham (aged 10) and Dickie McDade (aged 8) manned their posts at the Ground Observer Corps on Telephone Hill for a photographer of the New York Daily News. A staffer at the paper had read The Mendham-Chester Tribune’s story of the youngsters’ service scanning the skies and had to see it for themselves. Source: The Mendham-Chester Tribune.
In 1955, the Ground Observer Corps post on Telephone Hill was manned from 10 am to 10 pm. Veterans and beginners helped spot all planes flying over the area and “flash” the reports to the Air Defense Command Filter Center at White Plains. Among the veterans on duty were Janet Abeles, Jane Dean, and William Cowie. Robert Minard assisted in getting the spotting going and reporting some of the first flashes of the day. Source: The Mendham-Chester Tribune.
In 1956, the Ground Observer Corps celebrated its first year of operation at Post 15-Charley by holding a dance at the Chester Township Hall. Along with the dancing, there was an awards presentation to outstanding local Ground Observers. The program was tape recorded by George Eberhardt, an engineer with Bell Telephone Laboratories. Source: The Mendham-Chester Tribune.