Tag: Herbert Pickell


This Week in Chester History…

In 1959, Chester Borough began measures to limit the number and type of outdoor signage installed locally. The Council asked attorney Edwin Orr to write an ordinance regulating the size, type, location, and materials permitted. Councilman Herbert Pickell, after some research recommended “that all signs be directional in nature, no sign shall exceed a size of three feet by five feet, [and] no individual firm be allowed more than two approved signs.” Source: Observer-Tribune.