Tag: North Road
Chester Township Council voted in 1960 to grant Bell Laboratories a variance to build on its land and purchase an additional 90 acres from Earl Taylor on the east side of North Road. Locals also petitioned the council to make Cooper Lane into a 25 mph zone. Source: Observer-Tribune
Garret Den Braven of North Road received the Newark College of Engineering (what we now know as NJIT) Alumnus of the Year for 1960. Den Braven was assistant manager of operations and served on the Board of Bamberger’s. Since 1928, he had worked for the organization, rising to become head of all design, construction, and maintenance of Bamberger’s property. Source: Observer-Tribune.
In 1960, a two-and-a-half story building and four-car garage on the E.A. Taylor farm on the North Road burned until destroyed, reported the Observer-Tribune. No one was injured, but the Ellis Burd and Henry Blokzyl families (10 people total) were left homeless as a result. Also burned that week were three cars when a fire broke out in a garage owned by Walter Patrey.
In 1960, “a spectacular fire” destroyed Hans Lowensteiner’s a 150 x 50 ft. cow barn, attached milk house, silo, and sleeping quarters of farm worker William Boloway. Lowensteiner, a North Road resident, and his hired workers had begun the evening milking when his wife pointed out the smoke at the roof. The farmer saved his 65 cows, but inadequate water supplies stymied the 140 firemen from 7 fire companies around the area, until a pond on the Bell Labs property (1 mile away) became the source of water to bring the conflagration under control. Source: Observer-Tribune
In 1959, the Observer-Tribune profiled Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Fitzpatrick, who bought the old Chester schoolhouse on North Road and turned it into an antique shop. The schoolhouse was originally built in 1830, primarily through the efforts of Nathan Cooper. It was the first public school for the “North District.”
In 1957, Charlie and Lois Johnson of North Road hosted a 2-meter ham-radio picnic for some 45 adults and 20 children from New Jersey and Pennsylvania who heard their ham radio invitation. The Johnsons held novice and general radio licenses, enabling them to reach all of New Jersey and some of Pennsylvania on a two-wave frequency by phone. Charlie used bamboo rods and aluminum foil to fashion antennae. Source: Observer-Tribune.