Tag: Pleasant Hill Road


This Week in Chester History…

In 1960, the Observer-Tribune reported that William G. Cleland of Pleasant Hill Road was accepted to and would enter Dartmouth College that coming September. He graduated Gill St. Bernard’s School in Gladstone as salutatorian of his class, and he served as an editor of the school newspaper and senior class yearbook. He also received the Renssaeler medal, awarded for outstanding proficiency in science and mathematics.


This Week in Chester History…

Frank Norton of Pleasant Hill Road was named President of the Plastics and Coal Chemicals division of Allied Chemical Corporation, in 1960. The Observer-Tribune reported that Norton had been with the company since 1932, and vice president of the aforementioned division since 1948.


This Week in Chester History…

In 1938, Caspar Kaffke of the South Road appealed to the Chester Township Committee to repair the South Road. Chairman William Woodruff explained that the Herrick Road Act required Kaffke to apply for aid to the Board of Freeholders. Further, such an application would need to take place five months later. Previously, Pleasant Hill Road and Vacationland Road had been repaired, said Kaffke. Source: Mendham-Chester Tribune


This Week in Chester History…

In 1955, Chester Township Police Chief John T. Price died of a heart attack at the age of 57. Price and Officer George L. Francis had responded in separate cars to a disturbance call at the Muskrat Inn on Pleasant Hill Road. Francis left after the call was handled, but later found the Chief still in his car having died from a known heart condition. Price served 15 years as superintendent of the Leon Israel estate, and lived on the Old Gladstone Road. Source: The Mendham-Chester Tribune


This Week in Chester History…

In 1956, Roxbury High School student Robert L. Greenglass of Pleasant Hill Road placed third in the yellow hybrid-ear certified seed corn category at the Seed and Grain Show in Atlantic City. Mrs. Minnie Kreuger of South Road also collected several ribbons and trophies for her prize rabbits at the Farm and Home Show. Source: The Mendham-Chester Tribune.

 


This Week in Chester History…

In 1957, Patricia Cross of Pleasant Hill Road became Morris County’s first polio patient of the year. She previously had received two Salk anti-polio vaccine shots, but was diagnosed with paralytic polio at Morristown Memorial Hospital. In 1956, by this time last year, the county already had three cases. Source: The Mendham-Chester Tribune.


This Week in Chester History…

In 1956, 256 acres on Pleasant Hill Road owned by the estate of Otto Sroczek was sold to Fairleigh Dickinson University, Rutherford. The university announced that it would use the land as an organic farm to supply food for its dormitories. The land was sold for $75,000 by Dorothy P. Steele of the Janet W. Stebbins realty office. Source: The Mendham-Chester Tribune


This Week in Chester History…

In 1963, the Chester Township Planning Board approved a major subdivision to Chester Knolls on Route 24. Previously part of the Robinson farm, 40 of the 105 acres would be divided into 20 building lots. The board also rubber stamped a subdivision of four of 25 acres on the south side of Pleasant Hill Road. The property was part of an estate willed by Cora Mooney to the Biblical Seminary of New York. The seminary sold the four acres to owners who planned to convert a barn on the property to a home. Source: Observer-Tribune.