Tag: Route 206
1961 was a banner year for car wrecks in Chester. A 12-car pile up occurred at the top of Lu Shann Hill on Route 206. A snowstorm was blamed for the initial head on collision. Other cars slammed into the first two, and in an effort to avoid the growing wreck, one driver hit a guard rail. First Aid Squad member Stephen Estason of Main Street was hit on the side of his car on the way to answer the call to duty.
George Smith shot at his friend Roland Thompson with a .35 caliber rifle, in 1961. According to the Observer-Tribune, Smith and Thompson were driving on Fox Chase Road when the car became stuck in a snowbank near Old Chester Road. Smith threatened to kill Thompson if he failed to extricate the vehicle. Thompson knocked the weapon down as two shots “exploded from the weapon,” missing him. Smith continued shooting at Thompson as he ran toward Old Chester Road. Patrolman Everett Pierson and Chief Edward Straight arrived on the scene later to find Smith waiting on the snowbank for Thompson. It was not the first complaint against Smith. Police previously confiscated 30 rifles and shotguns from his house after he wielded a 20-gauge shotgun at his wife.
In 1955, Chesterites began a letter-writing campaign to State Senator Thomas J. Hillery to have a traffic light installed at the intersection of Routes 206 and 24. At that time, there was a stop sign at the corner, but locals said few people bothered to stop. The intersection had a long history of vehicle accidents. Source: Mendham-Chester Tribune
The Observer-Tribune reported in 1960 that two traffic accidents had occurred during the previous few days. Austin Conover of Mendham knocked out local power and telephone service after losing control on a curve on Ralston Road and hitting a telephone pole. Accident #2 occurred at the intersection of Route 206 and Four Bridges Road, when Marsilla Snyder of Long Valley disregarded a police officer directing traffic. Snyder advanced onto Route 206, hitting the broadside of Steven Neville, III, of Denville. No one was injured.
In 1955, The Mendham-Chester Tribune announced that the N.J. State Highway Department would erect a stop light at the intersection of Routes 206 and 24. The cost of the light was $9,200.
In 1955, Bill and Bob Conover of Pleasant Hill Road purchased a 10-ton, “bright red monster of a bus” and 5 acres on Route 206 for a garage and office. They bought the bus to charter it out for group trips and to substitute for the regular school bus should it break down. Previously, the bus ran a route between New York City and Washington, D.C. for National Trailways. Source: The Mendham-Chester Tribune.
In 1955, the Chester Civic Association met with Lester Smalley of the Borough Council to plan efforts to “procure a traffic light at the intersection of Rts 24 and 206, long a very dangerous corner and traffic hazard.” Local and state politicians would be contacted, as well as the N.J. Highway Commission. Source: The Mendham-Chester Tribune.