Tag: Route 24
In 1955, Chesterites began a letter-writing campaign to State Senator Thomas J. Hillery to have a traffic light installed at the intersection of Routes 206 and 24. At that time, there was a stop sign at the corner, but locals said few people bothered to stop. The intersection had a long history of vehicle accidents. Source: Mendham-Chester Tribune
In 1955, The Mendham-Chester Tribune announced that the N.J. State Highway Department would erect a stop light at the intersection of Routes 206 and 24. The cost of the light was $9,200.
In 1956, Mrs. Percy Chubb, 2nd donated 40.74 acres of land to the West Morris Regional High School District Board of Education. The land, located on Route 24 in Chester Borough, bordered Dr. Nicholas L. Migliaccio’s property. The Chester Chamber of Commerce objected to the Board’s acceptance of the land with a heated statement published in its entirety in the July 19 issue of The Mendham-Chester Tribune.
In 1955, the Chester Civic Association met with Lester Smalley of the Borough Council to plan efforts to “procure a traffic light at the intersection of Rts 24 and 206, long a very dangerous corner and traffic hazard.” Local and state politicians would be contacted, as well as the N.J. Highway Commission. Source: The Mendham-Chester Tribune.
In 1958, Vincent T. Sparano of East Orange was groundhog hunting and shooting clay pigeons with a friend on the Percy Chubb Farm on Route 24, when he shot himself in the right thigh with a high-powered pistol. He thought the 357 Magnum was in the half cocked position in his holster, but when he drew the pistol, it discharged, sending the bullet through his right thigh to lodge behind his knee. Dr. Alfred Truax of Main Street extracted the bullet and released him. Source: The Mendham-Chester Tribune.
In 1962, parishioners and Rev. Nicholas P. Negola broke ground for the new St. Lawrence the Martyr Roman Catholic Church to be constructed on Route 24. Father Negola, pastor of St. Lawrence, noted the new church would rise between the existing rectory and the Kenneth Dean property. He also shared the history and growth of the Chester church from its humble beginning in the home of one of the parishioners. Source: Observer-Tribune.