In 1961, the West Morris Regional Board of Education voted to lease from a house across from the school from E.B. Berlinrut. The rent would be $225 per month. The planned use for the building was administrative offices and an office for the school psychologist.
In 1959, the Observer-Tribune profiled Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Fitzpatrick, who bought the old Chester schoolhouse on North Road and turned it into an antique shop. The schoolhouse was originally built in 1830, primarily through the efforts of Nathan Cooper. It was the first public school for the “North District.”
In 1960, the Chester Board of Education resolved to oppose a state statute change that would send twice-defeated school budgets directly to the Commissioner of Education for approval, rather than to the local municipal government. According to the Observer-Tribune, the Board objected to removing of local school issues to the state level.