In 1960, Chester Township voted for its first term of a new mayor-council form of government. Republican incumbents Henry Leeb and Leonard Nixon landed three-year terms on the council. The voter turnout was high: 985 of the township’s 1080 registered citizens voted in the election. Source: Observer-Tribune
The League of Women Voters of the Chesters-Mendhams sponsored three non-partisan candidates meetings throughout the fall of 1960. The speakers were Senator Clifford P. Case (R) and Thorn Lord. The meetings afforded “independent voters, those who are genuinely puzzled, and all interested citizens to hear candidates views before they cast their votes.” Source: Observer-Tribune
The Civil Defense Director of Chester, John C. Morgan, Jr., with an eye toward nuclear attack, recommended that citizens vote to adopt the N.J. constitutional amendment posed as a question on the 1961 ballot. The question read, “Shall the amendment of Article IV, Section VI of the Constitution, agreed to by the Legislature, vesting power in the Legislature to insure continuity of the State, county and local governmental operations in periods of emergency resulting from disasters caused by enemy attack be adopted?” It was approved, after some tinkering, in December 1961 (http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/lawsconstitution/constitution.asp). Soure: Observer-Tribune.