Tag: West Morris Regional High School
In 1960, Assistant Principal William J. DeGennero resigned from the West Morris Regional High School. His reason was that he was unable to find suitable housing for his family within a reasonable distance of the school. The board offered a contract to Robert Ward at an annual salary of $8,300. Source: Observer-Tribune
At the end of 1960, the sizable West Morris Regional High School band received $2000 for new instruments and $1573 for uniforms. School Board member Carl Braun compared the funding to the $8000 investment in football equipment. Principal Leonard Saunders restricted band membership to 95 due to limited practice space.
In 1960, the Observer-Tribune reported that 21 students made the West Morris Regional High School honor roll: Seniors — George Bonsall, Bruce Caruthers, Judy Chmiele, Betsy Dippel, Jean Engel, Penny Gilmer, Geoffrey Helman, John Huemer, Barbara Twillman; Juniors — Linnea Abbott, Louis Bell, Clifford Garrison, Abbey Ann Hewens, Barbara Rowitzer; and Sophomores — Peggie Cowie, Mary Cronlund, Carol Heding, Margo Mulvihill, Bonnie Behler, John Dippel, and Filipe Tejera.
The N.J. Press Association held its second annual North Jersey Press Conference at West Morris Regional High School in 1960. More than 100 high school journalists from schools around the northern part of the state attended. The Highland Fling, the WMRHS paper sponsored the event. Source: Observer-Tribune
Chester librarians taught a series of courses at West Morris Regional High School in 1960. Students learned how to use the library’s collection, how to research using the reference collection, and how to find books specifically for special assignments and reports. The instruction was collaboratively planned with English and Science teachers at the high school. More than 50 classes visited the school library and 40 hours were spent with freshmen, teaching them how to use the card catalog. Source: Observer-Tribune
In 1962, the West Morris Regional School Board voted to fund a $990,000 expansion plan for a complete vocational-technical wing at the high school. Courses included in the program will be in five areas. The current auto mechanics course would be moved to the new wing in facilities doubled the size of the shop in place. Other programs offered included Technical Drafting, Technical Machine Shop, Carpentry, Masonry, and Laboratory Technician. Source: Observer-Tribune
Barlow Henry Underhill exhibited his art works at West Morris Regional High School’s gallery in 1960. The artist worked in many different media, including oil and enamel paintings; drawings and lithographs; mosaics; ceramics; and sculpture in bronze, wood, plaster, and terra cotta. Source: Observer-Tribune
In 1960, West Morris Regional High School opened with an enrollment of 800 students, up 10% from the previous year. The Observer-Tribune noted two new courses would be offered: Senior Science (for students with less math background than required for Physics) and Biology for 9th graders. The English department combined creative writing and journalism. Dramatics and public speaking also were combined.
The Observer-Tribune in 1960 announced the hiring of Mrs. Lenore Mogin of Eatontown as the new district school psychologist. Her annual salary was $7,500. Each of the six sending districts to West Morris Regional High School would pay an equal portion of her salary.
In 1958, more than 200 8th grade students in the area were tested in advance of attending the new West Morris Regional High School. Students were given the California Test of Mental Maturity and the Iowa Reading Test. The test results, along with conferences with elementary school principals and teachers, and elementary school records would be used to guide the students in their 9th grade course selections. Source: Mendham-Chester Tribune